Monday, December 15, 2008

If you pour a pan of boiling water on the sidewalk...

It'd freeze almost instantly. You don't believe me? Look:


It's hard to see that, but it says that the temperature right now, at 12:45pm in the afternoon...in the midday sun is 1 degree. ONE DEGREE above ZERO.


This morning when I got up and was heading out to drive myself to the bus stop (so that I don't have to drive in the snow) the radio said it was -18. The windchill was -36.


Yesterday our pilot light went out. Which meant no hot water. No hot water means no heat, because our heat runs off the hot water. So...all day in the negative-degree weather we had no heat. Our landlord is usually so good about taking care of things for us, but he didn't ever call me back, and once the sun went down it was clear we wouldn't make it through the night without heat. So, we called Mike...because Mike almost always comes through for us...and he came over and re-lit the pilot light.


This morning while standing out in the negative-degree weather my toes got really cold. So cold, in fact, that I almost started crying. When I got on the bus the windows had ice on them. Not frost. ICE. On the inside.


Someone tell me why I live here again?? Maybe because of this:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no no come back to alabama

seriously i can't imagine that kind of cold. I want to cry when its in the 30s here!!