Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hallelujah!

So, last night Jules and I went to this Chorale thing. *why do they call it a chorale? Is that different than a Choir? or a Chorus? Hmmm..* anyway. It's a whole collection of about 19,875 songs that make up "The Messiah" or something. It's by some guy named Handel or Mendel or something. (don't ask me, I'm no musical expert). We went with Mike and Erin because they kept talking about it last year and how fun it was and how much they enjoy it. So, we thought it would be fun for us to take part in too. Basically, you go, you learn the songs, and there's a concert towards Christmas. One of the songs is the Hallelujah Chorus...you know? "haaaaa-leeeeh--looooo-yuhhhhhh" you know? Angels singing and such? OK...well, last night, since it was the first night of the "season" they traditionally went through all 19,875 songs. Quickly. Without teaching anything. You were just supposed to either 1. Already know the music. 2. Be able to sightread music. If you did not fit into either of those situations then you were pretty much going to sit and listen. Guess what me and Jules did?

Did you guess Sit and listen?? Yeah.

It was pretty overwhelming. Intense. I messed up loudly once. Jules just moved her mouth to look like she was saying the words, but no sound was coming out. I leaned a little too close to the woman beside me in order to hear her angelic sounds...which turned out to be not-so-angelic. I sat when I was supposed to stand *hey did anyone else know you are supposed to stand when the Hallelujah Chorus is sung? I had NO IDEA!* I stood when I was supposed to sit. I giggled and grinned, if only to cover my embarrassment. It was all-in-all a below-par experience except for the fact that next week they start breaking down the songs, part by part, song by song. That will be better. But let's just say that if the performance had been last night....I would have been front-and-center in the middle of a very excruciatingly embarrassing experience.

It might have been ALMOST as bad as when Buzz puts the candle-lights behind Kevin's ears and such in Home Alone 2.

Almost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

thats my sister :)