Monday, April 20, 2009

I SO wasn't trying to be secretive...

The study I'm doing is measuring the effects of "undereating" on Insulin and Glucose in your body. It's basically Nutritionally-induced Insulin Resistance. They give me my food...I eat only and all of the food they give me...and then 3 times over a 12 week period I go into the hospital. The hospital stays are the worst! At first, while you're unpacking your little overnight bag and you're setting out your phone charger and you're fluffing your pillows and you're looking out the window at all the wonderful city lights you think, "Ahhhh. This is niiiiiiiice." But then, when they wake you up the next morning at 5:30 and start shoving needles into your veins and drawing blood every 5 minutes and injecting you with all sorts of things you start thinking that it's not so great. Then, when they start cutting into your leg, all the way down to your muscle and take a piece and you can feel that the doctor has gotten the instrument she's using stuck inside your leg and is tugging and tugging but can't seem to free the cannula, you start thinking...WHAT DID I SIGN UP FOR?!

But once it's over, you forget how bad it was...sort of like childbirth (or so I'm told). You'd really have to ask someone like Della about that.

Anyway, one of the side effects is losing about 10-15 % of your body weight *yippee!* and then I get paid at the end also. And let's not forget how much I'm saving by not having to buy groceries.

But I have been hungry. I'm not going to lie. And sometimes it seems that every stinkin commercial on TV is about food. I don't even like chocolate-covered brussell sprouts in a yam and coffee sauce, but when I see a commercial for chocolate-covered brussell sprouts in a yam and coffee sauce my mouth starts watering.

And in case you're wondering, no. that's not a real food. At least I hope it's not. Unless, of course you're the maker of chocolate covered brussell sprouts with a yam-coffee sauce...in which case...YUMMMM. ;0

Anyway, so, I'm holding steady at the 12 pound weight loss mark. (also just in case you're wondering...that is NOT 10 percent of my body weight...but thanks for thinking that!) I think my body has gotten used to the amount of food I'm eating now, so I just have to step it up with a little activity! Then I should start shedding some weight!

So, that's the study. Not as interesting as cancer research or trying to find a cure for a disease...but still...more interesting than chocolate covered brussell sprouts. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I think I could like chocolate covered anything!!!
I started a "diet" about 2 months ago now and I'm still the same weight as week 2... Also I must say I just spent 10 days in France, with delicious cheeses :)
how is the bible study going?

cheryl said...

That sounds pretty interesting!! Thanks for the explanation. I'll wait awhile before I send donuts. Or doughnuts. Or chocolate covered brussel sprouts in a yam coffee sauce. I do like all of those things, and I think I gained your 12 pounds just by thinking of them..