Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Single at 25?! that's crazy! (not!)

Do you know--as a child/teen I always thought I'd be married by 25. Seriously. I just thought that would be the absolute oldest I'd be when I married. But honestly, I thought it would happen MUCH before then.

But I also thought that if I could just get Lance Bass to meet me once then he'd fall head over heels in love with me.

Turns out that wouldn't have worked anyway. hahah!

God has taught me in a very personal way that He has someone special for me...that he's being molded and fine-tuned specifically for me and I for him. So, it's not that I am afraid or even worried that I'll never have my day...but it's really funny to think about. It's funny to me that I just knew I'd rather die than be single at 25 (like that was sooooo old).

I also thought that I'd never be fat, then metabolism caught up with me.
I thought that Colorado was under 6 feet of snow all year-round.
I thought that the Everglades were the Alps.
I thought that if I stuck my key in the cigarette lighter in the car that it would heat up my key (let me tell you--i was wrong about that one! POW!)
I thought that Billy Ray Cyrus's mullet was just the cutest thing.
I thought that if I put my finger in the same hole we had just spent 30 minutes getting my finger out of, that this time it wouldn't get stuck.
I thought that flannel shirts over overalls was the cutest thing I could wear.
I thought that Mark Chestnut waved at me at a concert when I was like 11. I swore he did.
I thought that me and my siblings would never get along.
I thought I'd never grow into my teeth.
I thought that the worst thing that could ever happen to me was getting "pantsed" at soccer practice.
I thought that if I prayed hard enough then Cissy wouldn't die.
I thought that my problems stemmed from my small town in AL, and that if I just moved away then life would be different...better.
I thought that high school was the best time of my life.
I thought that college was the best time of my life.
I thought that Guy Williams was the man I was meant to be with, and that he was just born a few decades too early.

It's funny how things you're just sure of sometimes turn out to be CRAZY later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahah!!
I thought I would be a nun, and never ever waste my time with a boy...
I guess I learned a lot about love since then.. :)

cheryl said...

You are way too funny.. but also very blessed, with not only a terrific sense of humor, but with a great way of looking at things.. You are right on about the marriage thing, my daughters believe that if/when God chooses, that's when.. I'm sure it's not so easy, but on the other hand, what freedom there is from all the other thoughts, etc. To be at rest in it all, is where the battle lies!
I'd like to hear more about the "being pantsed" at soccer practice, otherwise, I am having some strange pictures.. just kidding, one of my daughters' favorite activities for awhile was pantsing each other around the house.. they just thought it was so funny, and being 7 of them, it happened a lot, (for years!!) and not all that long ago, too. But they've found other things to do to each other. I am going to miss them..the 5 living at home/still single ones are in Norway for a few weeks, taking off this afternoon! I guess my husband will have to take out the garbage and feed the cats, and take care of the litter box..He will miss them, too.
It's funny, when they came up with this plan on traveling, I was kind of nervous about being "alone", remember, I've had them around for 26 years now.. I was so SURE I'd be borderline depressed.. but I have been praying, and I'm hoping the time will pass quickly and I'll get my sewing room cleaned up.