Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Best April Fools Joke EVER!

**~*~I finally had to delete the Orange Scrubs post. It was leading so many people, especially in other parts of the world, to my post...and people who were NOT searching for my story. So, sorry! That post is gone!~*~**

In honor of April Fool's day I wanted to tell you a story about the best practical joke I've ever played on anyone in my life. Okay, maybe I built it up too much. But, it was gooood.

When I was a sophomore in college I had some friends from back home who came to the same school I went to. They were freshmen and lived in the freshman-only residence hall. They also lived in the same "suite" as their RA. The RA was a junior, so only a little bit older than me. He was this South African guy who just KNEW he was God's gift to the world. He was nice enough, but he was fullllll of himself. We'll call him Chapstick. (go with it). Chapstick had a little South African accent that sort of sounded British, but not as heavy. He also had lived in the US for a long long time, so he had lost a lot of the thickness to his accent. In fact, when he was around people he was totally comfortable with, his accent sort of faded into nothing. But let some pretty girl come around and he would totally play it up. He'd say something in an accent so thick you couldn't even tell what he said. I used to call him out on it. If it was just us hanging around, he'd talk almost completely normal. When some blond beauty walked in the room, he'd start talking and all you'd hear was, "whytcha duoinnnaya turrbuylleasr." I'd say, "Chapstick...No one can tell what you're saying. All of the sudden your accent is SO thick." He'd get pretty mad when I did that. ;0

His roommates (my friends from home) were so nice. We'll call them J and B. Anyway, one day I was over at J, B, and Chapstick's dorm room and Chapstick tells me that he can make a piece of hair stand up in water. I'm an idiot apparently, because I believed him. He pulled out one of my hairs...OUCH!...and tore it into little pieces. Then he filled a large plate with water. He poured salt in the plate (which was just for show) and then sprinkled my little pieces of hair in the plate. He told me I had to get really close and look from the side and I'd see the hair stand up on end. So, I got really close, looked from the side, and WHAM!!! he slapped that plate of water so hard, I was drenched. My whole face got soaked! I like jokes...and usually can appreciate the humor even if it's done to me unless it calls for me losing some article of clothing...that's not funny. So, I laughed it off, but reminded myself that I'd get him back later.

A few days later I was walking back to my dorm after eating supper at the Student Center and my roommate was with me. It was dark, and we went to an Urban University, so you had to be careful about your surroundings. My roommate noticed a car full of boys/men staring us down. They were parked under the dark part of the street, so we couldn't see their faces. Steph, my roommate, suggested that we not walk past the car. Just as we were waiting on the light to change, so we could cross to the other side of the road, I noticed the men getting out of the car. They were looking straight at us...and not in a good way. We couldn't tell who they were, but it was clear they were up to no good. They began walking quickly straight toward us. I started getting nervous saying, "Steph...they're coming here. They're coming. Come on light!! come on!!" I was genuinely scared. Suddenly one of the men began running at me. I had a juice bottle in my hands. In an instant I threw the bottle, started screaming and took off running past the guys! I knew that was going to be the worst night of my life. Just as I tried to run past the guy running at me, I noticed his face. Chapstick. He grabbed me and hugged me really tight and started laughing really really hard. I was so mad. They had really scared me (which was their objective all along!! It was J, B, and chapstick!) So that night I plotted a master plan to get this boy back!

It was right around April Fools Day. I wrote a simple letter that read,

"Chapstick.

I think you're hot. I've seen you around, and I wish that we could get to know one another more. It's a shame for someone like you to be alone. Think about it.

Don't worry. I'll introduce myself soon enough."


And I stuck it on his car window when he was in the Baptist Student Center. Don't throw stones. You have to seize your opportunities when they present themselves!!

So, I didn't mention anything about the note to anyone for a few days. Then I told J and B about it, and swore them to secrecy. They said that he'd been playing jokes on them too, and they wanted in on it. So, we planned a very elaborate scheme.

I began writing more and more notes. I would make each one a little more aggressive than the last. I began getting information from J and B about Chapstick that no one would know unless they were really following him. Stuff like what color boxers he had...or how his room was decorated. Things like the funny way he stacked peas on the back of his fork with his knife. Things like exact times and places that he'd been recently. Things about his past...about his family. I started confessing my LOVE for him. I started telling him that we WOULD be together...and that I couldn't stand by while he chose someone else. I kept telling him that I would introduce myself soon enough.

I had J and B come up with creative ways to present the letters. Sliding them under the door late at night...putting them in his closet...dropping them off at the RA office for him. It was GENIUS. He didn't tell anyone except J and B about it. He was totally freaked! We carried the charade on for about 3 months...then I wrote a letter telling him I wanted to meet him. We planned it out where I said I would be at a Bible Study he attended that week. What he didn't know is I already attended the Bible Study, so me being there wouldn't be a give-away.

He told J and B that he was going to confront this girl and tell her to leave him alone, and if that didn't work, then he'd have to do something a little stronger. Good thing I decided to tell him that night that it was me...before he turned my letters over to police or something!!

Anyway, that night at Bible study I noticed he was a little on edge. He did keep looking around the room at the people who were there. I kept asking him what was wrong...are you looking/waiting on someone?? heheheeh! I'm so bad!

After about half the night went on, and as far as he was concerned she hadn't showed...he calmed down a bit. Once I was sure he was convinced that she wasn't coming, I walked over to him and sat down next to him.

"Chapstick." I said. "I need to tell you something."

"Alright." he replied, oblivious.

"Chapstick. I just love the way your scrape your peas onto the back of your fork with your knife. And I looooooove that you wear red boxer shorts every Saturday to play football at Greensprings Park. And I loooooooove..."

His face went blank. I thought for a moment he might pass out. Instead he stood up.

"YOU???!!! How..? When?? How did you...?" Stuttering. He couldn't even get the words out.

Me, J, and B were laughing so hard we ended up in a heap on the floor. Chapstick just kept going on and on about how I was supposed to be so sweet and nice and innocent! Hahahaah! We had gotten him GOOD.

Of course, he wanted all the details of how we pulled it off. I'm pretty sure that J and B paid a much higher price than I did for the joke. I think there was talk of several "antique-ing sessions". But I would have spent the next year with flour caked over my face just to see the look on his that night!

4 comments:

cheryl said...

Don't you just love a good joke.. on someone?? We (my friends and I) did a lot of them back in college, but I don't think I could have kept one going that long.. I hoped he learned a lesson of some sort?

cheryl said...

PS: Happy April Fool's Day.. and try to behave yourself!!

cheryl said...

PS again: Thanks for the reminder.. I'll have to think of something good for my son-in-law.. he's Scandinavian, (I'm not sure if they "do" April Fool's) and he's quite the joker, but I'll try my hardest to come up with something good.

KrustyLynn said...

hehehe...I don't think he actually learned anything, except not to mess with me. :) But it was a great joke and he took it really well!